THINKING ABOUT FOSTERING?
Do you want to make a difference in the life of a child in your community?
Bring a child into your home and provide a safe, stable, comfortable, and loving environment until they can be reunited with their family, or other permanent arrangements are established for their lives.
Consistency and support are very important to children and youth, and you can provide this for them.
WHO CAN FOSTER / ADOPT?
You can foster / adopt if you are:
- a previous foster parent, adoptive parent, or have never fostered before
- a person who has wanted to foster their whole life, or someone who just began to think about fostering recently
- a person who already has children, or someone who has no children
- a person who is single, married, or living common-law
- a person of ANY sexual orientation and gender
- a person of ANY race and ethnicity
- a person who rents their living space or a home owner
- a young adult, middle aged, or an older adult
If you are any of these people AND you also can provide a child a safe, stable, comfortable, and supportive home environment AND you want to foster a child or youth then...
WE NEED YOU!
NWT - Specific Information
In the Northwest Territories, we DO NOT adopt or foster children out of the territory. Therefore, you must be living in the NWT in order to foster or adopt a child from the NWT. This is so important because the Northwest Territories is home for the children and youth here, and no one wants to be taken from home. Maintaining a strong connection to one's community and culture is important for a child's healthy development.
You must be a resident of the NWT for at least ONE YEAR in order to adopt. This is not the case for those interested in fostering (you are able to foster even if you have been here for less than a year).
What to do now?
An important step to take once you have started to think about fostering is to talk to us about it.
The Foster Family Coalition has a network of experienced foster and adoptive parents from throughout the NWT.
Get in touch with us and we can talk to you, answer your questions, and help you along your way.
Our contact information is below. Please feel free to call, stop by the office, or send an email below.
867 766 3326
Toll free: 1 866 233 0136
We are open 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Monday to Friday
When you are ready to begin your fostering application process, contact you local Health and Social Services Authority to begin the process. Contact information is found below.
We can help you with this process as well if you would prefer to have support along the way.
Once you connect with a foster care worker, they will work with you to complete the application process:
1) complete foster home application
2) provide three (3) personal reference letters
3) complete medical exam
4) complete criminal records check with vulnerable sector
5) complete child protection records check
6) participate in home study
When you are ready to begin your adoption application process, contact you local Health and Social Services Authority to begin the process Contact information is found below.
We can help you with this process as well if you would prefer to not do this alone.
Once you connect with an adoption worker, they will work with you to complete the application process:
1) complete adoption application
2) complete questionnaire
3) acknowledgement of legal advice
4) complete medical exam
5) provide three (3) personal reference letters
6) complete criminal records check with vulnerable sector
7) provide birth certificate (of yourself and partner if you have one)
8) provide marriage certificate (if you are married)
9) provide death certificate (if you or your partner is a surviving spouse)
10) provide proof of NWT residency
11) participate in home study
NTHSSA - BEAUFORT - DELTA REGION
Darlene Koe - 867 777 8184
Child, Youth & Family Placement Coordinator
NTHSSA - DEHCHO REGION
Fawna Erasmus - 867 695 3815
Toll Free - 1 888 660 6414
NTHSSA - FORT SMITH REGION
Regional Manager, Child and Family Services
Call main office - 867 872 6300
HAY RIVER HEALTH AND
SOCIAL SERVICES AUTHORITY
Deb Mageean - 867 874 7213
Social Programs Secretary
Sarah Poitras - 867 874 7217
Community Social Service Worker
Debra Buggins - 867 874 7221
Community Social Service Worker
NTHSSA - SAHTU REGION
867 587 3665
Regional Manager, Child, Family and Community Wellness
Regional Office - 867 587 3650
TLI CHO COMMUNITY SERVICES AGENCY
Sheila Bishop - 867-392-3000
Kailee MacDonald - 867 392 3025
Supervisor / Social Worker
NTHSSA - YELLOWKNIFE REGION
Rajiya Duggar - 867 767 9122 ext 41172
Evelyn Marlowe - 867 370 3212
Cara-Lynn Bailey - 867 394 5010
Forest E Witcraft
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove… But the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.